Saturday, August 13, 2011

Today's Thoughts...On Writing



I read a story that was published on a social network recently. It was about an incident that happened when this person was a teenager. I knew the people involved in the historical account and I was disturbed that something so personal was shared without theirs, or their family’s permission. I questioned the motives behind it, and even they thought it was an innocent reflection, it helped me think about my own boundaries, my own ethics of writing. I do not write, even in my own journal, about any of the painful aspects of the lives of my adult children or friends. I may note some publicly known fact such as a serious illness, or some joyful achievement or even a funny episode in family life. Even for that, however, I ask their permission. Their lives are sacred and have no place on my pages. Other people in my life, however, do sometimes find themselves on my pages. They are fictionalized so much that only the person in question might guess. I have changed the gender, age, description, and place of residence; I have altered histories, and distorted the truth on purpose, all for the sake of disguise.

On the other hand, my life is an open book. Someone someday, may read it, whether it’s published or not. There are some things that I do not write anywhere, not even in my journal. Everyone’s boundaries are their own, what would be intolerable self-revelation to one person is of no consequence to another. I know the danger of keeping a journal; someone may know who I really am. Or, more accurately, someone may know who I am in the moments I am writing, and mistakenly think I am like that all the time. Because sadness drives me to write on many occasions more than celebration steers me, someone reading my journal would conclude I am sad much more of the time than is true.

From the time I was nine years old and wrote my first poem, writing has been the way I survive. It has been my “art” form and it was the way I fit in. Franz Kafka said, “Writing means revealing oneself to excess.” I strive to leave judgment to others and try to be as honest as I can. In one way or another, all writing is a confession. Confession or vulnerability masked and revealed in the voice of words.

I know that my writing has drawn people to me, and it has pushed people away. I know that the “me” revealed on my pages is not always the “me” that is seen across a table at a local pub or deli. I know that some of my friends can’t deal with the more complicated “me” they meet on my pages. I can’t help that. They can understand or they choose not to, it’s their choice.

Peace...



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not focused enough to write my thoughts daily, weekly, or even monthly. Instead I am outspoken and my friends more times then not have the misfortune of my bluntness. I do write a good letter every once in a while, but that's about as far as it go's. My husband used to tell me that I had no "filter"...if it was in my head it would fall out of my mouth....he was right. I lost what I thought was a very good friend because of my mouth. But then again, if she was as good a friend as she said she was, I wouldn't have lost that friendship now would I ?
Some people find writing a must...I find just letting the words out a must. Even then, like you saying NOT everything is writen down, NOT all my thoughts are spoken. No matter who you are, what you are, where you've been, or who knows you...there is always that little secret tucked away in the futhest part of your being...that no body but you and your maker will ever know.

Anonymous said...

I have read some very personal things on what you call "social networks", and I wonder if some of those same people who write those things ever thought about slander.

Anonymous said...

I recently "stole away" for a couple of days to reflect on some aspects of my life and kept a journal while I was gone.Your words about the "me" that people would read on paper and the "me" that I am in person,spoke to my heart....next time,I'm tearing out those pages!!!