Monday, March 7, 2011

I used to have such a good imagination as a child. I wandered the worlds inside my head like most children do. I imagined stories, futures, invisible animals and wonderlands and also believed in them. I used to draw all the stories I made up, or write them when I was already in school. The future was full of possibilities and I was free to draw any of them and make it true. I was praised for my drawing and writing skills and dreamed of becoming an artist or an author.

I gradually lost appreciation for my imagination and stopped using what was once a source of great energy to me. I may not had actually stopped, but started to blame myself for not “getting real.” The reality also got a little bit too real at times and it became hard to ignore it. Depression is very effective for making the darker sides of life visible. I still didn't want to give up hope that some things could also get better, not only worsen.

Hope requires a certain amount of imagination. Without imagination there is no creation. Creation as an opposite to annihilate is a goal to aim for. Sometimes you've got to leave and destroy something old before you can start something new. I did that when I left the previous chapter of my life and started to hone my creative spirit again.  Often I revert to the past and question my imagined future, but I found the confidence to soar and open my eyes to see new possibilities and be brave enough to finally implement them.

No comments: