Monday, March 7, 2011

You Are My Sunshine

You Are My Sunshine by Monica L. Sharpe

“Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 4 Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. ~Matthew 18:3

The last thing I remembered before waking up in the hospital was the traffic light turning green. I was the first car to cross the busy intersection. I glanced to my left and saw the pick up truck run the red light. I was unable to avoid the collision.
I was in a coma for eighteen days before I opened my eyes to see my first glimpse of light. It didn’t register in my mind where I was. The pain was excruciating and I found myself unable to move. It’s a blur exactly what happened next. What I do remember is that I woke to the sound of a soft angelic voice singing the lyrics of a familiar tune. “You are my sunshine, my only sunshine. You make me happy when skies are gray. You’ll never know mom how much I love you. Please don’t take my mommy away…” I felt the warmth and smelled the familiar sweet aroma of my son’s head resting near my face. When I could focus clearly, there was my husband smiling with tears of joys streaming down his face and my son with his beaming little face. He looked up to his dad and said, “See dad, I told you it would work. Mom loves that song.”
It was a slow recovery. When I was finally able to go home I spent the first couple weeks almost entirely in bed. During that time, family and friends took care of me until my husband came home from work. One afternoon my sister called and said that she was unable to come over because her daughter was sick. I heard my son tell her that he was there with me and things would be fine until his dad got home. Philip bounced into the room with that big smile on his face. He told me he was going to take care of me and I smiled. When I asked if he would get me a glass of water, he quickly darted to the kitchen. When he returned with the water and handed it to me, there was a loud clear smack. Philip’s hand touched his cheek, “Mom, someone kissed me!” I was shocked as well. I told him an angel kissed him for helping me.
Twenty-five years later my son clearly recalls that moment. He chose to be a paramedic as his career attributing the decision to the day the angel kissed him.
I thank God for giving me another day, another chance to become a better individual, another chance to give and experience love. I thank God for “My Sunshine.”

No comments: